Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Top 10 - Things I love about Howard County, MD

10. Everybody works out.

Seriously. You cannot drive down any street in Howard County without seeing someone walking, running, biking, or rollerblading. Usually with a dog in tow. I like that everyone there is very health conscious, although this definitely has it’s downsides too. I have been running a bunch since I moved back and am already down almost 5 lbs! Yay for me!

9. Old Navy

Umm…why doesn’t Frederick have one? I always think there is one by the Best Buy and have gone there multiple times looking for it but alas, Hagerstown or Westminster are the closest.

8. Not driving on 270.

Although 95 and 495 aren’t so hot either. At least they don’t have HOV lanes to taunt/tempt me.

7. Pine Orchards Liquor Store.

This is by far the best liquor store in Ellicott City. They are inexpensive, open in snow storms, and they have a very large selection to choose from. What more could a girl want?

6. CA/Plethora of organized activities.

I love CA, Columbia Association. I have been a member since I was 12, it’s wildly expensive so my mommy still pays for it because she loves me and hasn’t taken me out of the family plan yet. You can get into any number of gyms including a gym just for women with nice plasma TV’s scattered throughout, a boatload of pools, and get discounts at local stores and restaurants.

5. Noodles and Company

Yum. One of these would be perfect for a place like Frederick.

4. Columbia Mall – or at least a mall with a food court.

Malls without food courts are just silly. And no it doesn’t count to have numerous fast food restaurants strategically scattered in each wing. I need a communal place where all of the mall patrons can go to eat with a wide variety of places to choose from. And Columbia Mall has Anne Taylor Loft, I could not ask for more.

3. Trader Joes.

Possibly the best organic grocery store ever. And so dirt cheap! And Frank even likes it! He has been eating organic food all week and loves every bite!

2. The people.

Okay, yes, sometimes the people make me want to gag because they are like cookie cutters. But first, they aren’t all like that, we have a pretty eclectic bunch around these parts and second, everyone is sooooo nice. Our neighbors take time to talk to us, there is no old lady at the grocery store who looks likenot only death itself but also that she could rip my head off at any second (ie Giant Eagle aka Big Pigeon as I like to call it).

1. Being so much closer to our families.

Yes. I said it.





But the #1 thing I miss about Frederick???!!! :

Julie, Lindsay, Krissy, Jenn, Andrea, Jessica, Justin, Kari, Abby, Rachel, Mandy, Michael, Kim, Kristin, Chelsey, Steve, Erik, James, and Il Forno. Among others who are on the tip of my tongue but haven't written. And yes, you are all tied with Il Forno. Deal.

2 comments:

Abigail Joy. said...

OM goodness. You made me cry. Admittedly, not a hard thing to do with raging hormones. I miss you too, so much. We were at the fair last night, and there was no one to make fun of ridiculous people with me.

Please come visit soon

julie said...

Oh... i miss you more!